Mercy College Hosts 1st Annual Health And Wellness Expo
Dobbs Ferry, NY - Mercy College’s School of Health and Natural Sciences will host the first-annual Mercy College Health & Wellness Expo on the Dobbs Ferry campus (555 Broadway) on Saturday, April 13 from 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
The event is free and open to the public.
The Expo is designed for attendees of all ages and offers health screenings, advice from experts, interactive exhibits and hands-on workshops across three main themes: Fitness, Exercise & Health; Management of Special Needs or Chronic Conditions; and Health Profession Careers. The Expo will also feature specific programs for parents, seniors and children. Participating sponsors and presenters include United Healthcare, TD Bank, Academic Federal Credit Union, Pilates and More Studio, YogaWorks, and Whole Foods, among others. For a complete schedule of presenters and activities, please visit: https://www.mercy.edu/healthexpo. Sample activities and events include:
- Free health screenings for blood pressure, hearing, speech and language, vision, diabetes and more
- iPad apps for health and productivity, children with special needs and fine motor development
- Free Zumba, Pilates, Yoga and Conditioning classes
- Senior fitness, home safety modifications and fall prevention
- For kids: marvels of the human body, face painting, contests and more
- Keynote talk by Emmy Award nominated TV journalist and award-winning speaker Shannon White, author of The Invisible Conversations with Your Aging Parents and How was School Today? Fine
- Navigating the special education process
- Animal Experiences: Meet small and fluffy animals and learn tips for pet care
- Careers in Nursing, Communication Disorders, Physician Assistant, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Exercise Science and Veterinary Technician programs
“We welcome our neighbors and members of the College community to spend the day learning from experts about personal health—an ideal way to start the spring season,” said Mercy College Health & Wellness Expo Chair and Interim Dean, School of Health and Natural Sciences, Dr. Joan Toglia. “The first-annual Health & Wellness Expo is another way for Mercy College to give back to the Rivertowns and surrounding areas, as well as an opportunity for us share some of the exciting news and health research coming out of our School of Health and Natural Sciences.”
The Expo is provided by the faculty and students of Mercy College’s School of Health and Natural Sciences and partnering agencies and is part of the School’s “Local-to-Global Health Initiative.” This program engages Mercy College students and faculty in improving health and participation in life-enhancing activities through education, innovative community service projects and training within local and global communities. Recent initiatives include medical missions to Ecuador, Mali, Haiti and Peru.
“Through the Mercy College Health & Wellness Expo, students in the School of Health and Natural Sciences will gain real-world experience in healthcare and health promotion—experience that will prepare them for successful careers in this in-demand industry,” added Dr. Toglia.
The next Mercy College Health & Wellness Expo is planned for fall 2013 on the College’s Bronx campus.
For more information about Mercy College visit www.mercy.edu or call 877-MERCY-GO.